TekTone seeks talented, enthusiastic, team players with a positive attitude to help us grow our business and strengthen our community.
Quality of Life
TekTone world headquarters is located in the beautiful mountains of western North Carolina where residents enjoy an unsurpassed quality of life. The 517 square miles of Macon County, NC include the towns of Franklin (the county seat) and Highlands, plus numerous smaller communities. Almost one-half of the county is comprised of the Nantahala National Forest, the largest in North Carolina.
While the climate is mild, there are four distinct seasons. The area boasts plenty of woodlands, beautiful streams, waterfalls, mountains, hills and valleys. Macon County’s “green factor” is unparalleled in the region. We have a variety of outdoor activities, such as whitewater rafting, fishing, hiking on the Appalachian and Bartram Trails, boating and skiing, and we are only 40 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
The TekTone campus is located in a beautiful rural area, but is by no means isolated. We are just one hour from Asheville, NC and just over two hours from several major business centers, including Atlanta, GA, Greenville/Spartanburg, SC, and Knoxville, TN.
TekTone is a family-owned business, and we consider our employees to truly be part of our family, working towards a common goal. We strive to continually improve our processes by actively encouraging and recognizing ideas from all employees.
TekTone products are designed and built in our FDA-registered, state-of-the-art manufacturing facility. Operating for more than 45 years, we provide our customer base around the world with world-class support, and we have a strong commitment to product design. All healthcare products are designed, manufactured and tested in the USA, while all software is written and owned by TekTone. We have our own in-house engineering department that is constantly working to use new innovative technology to improve our products, and a primary focus organization-wide is Continuous Improvement of service, quality, and processes.
Join a fast-growing family owned electronics manufacturing company that designs and manufactures nurse call systems for the long-term care market. Located in Franklin, North Carolina, our campus nestled in a beautiful rural area, but is by no means isolated. We are just one hour from Asheville, NC and just over two hours from several major business centers, including Atlanta, GA, Greenville/Spartanburg, SC and Knoxville, TN.
Job Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Design and develop enterprise applications and interfaces
- Write maintainable application code which effectively and efficiently implements business requirements
- Work with fellow developers to provide on-time and complete features, documentation and peer training
- Participate in all phases of the software development life cycle, including technical analysis, design, development, testing, documentation, configuration and deployment
- Interact with stakeholders and provide guidance with various components of ERP system
- Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Good understanding of Enterprise Application Architecture Patterns and Service Design Patterns
- Relational database design and scripting in Microsoft SQL Server (primarily) and MySQL
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Able to work with and enhance complex, highly integrated enterprise applications
- Able to develop technical solutions to business requirements in a complex applications environment
- Able to work well independently and in a team environment
- Department: Engineering
- Reports to: VP, Engineering
- FSLA Status: Exempt
Summary/Objective: The Software Engineer develops, creates and modifies general computer applications software or specialized utility programs with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency.
- Actively “watch” for continuous improvement opportunities.
- Set good example of work habits for others to follow, such as using time wisely, resolving issue efficiently, participating only in value add or necessary system required activities.
- Supports TekTone commitment to product excellence, product quality and customer satisfaction. Performs to the best of her or her ability to create high quality products and services that satisfy customer requirements.
- Actively promotes safety and good housekeeping practices.
Lead Research and Development for new features and products - 15%
- Provide expert input on feasibility of products based on requirements analysis and specifications.
- Develop and incorporate new features for expanding TekTone’s market-share.
- Prepare accurate project tasks and estimate project timeframes and maintain them using internal project management software TekProject.
- Identify, analyze and develop solutions for complex problems to address requirements.
Design and Implement Software Applications - 50%
- Design and develop Graphical User Interfaces for various softwares using WxPython, FXRuby, SDL, jQuery.
- Construct and integrate software components that communicate with software/hardware over Sockets using TCP/IP, UDP, TAP (Telelocator Alphanumeric Protocol for Paging) and Serial Communication protocols such as RS232 and RS485.
- Improve performance of existing TekTone components.
- Utilize advanced concepts in the following domains to architect products for TekTone: Domain Specific Database, State Machines, Advanced Linux Internals, Hardware Communications, Scripting, Hardware Emulators, Testers, Paging Protocols (Scope, COMP2 and TAP), Graphical Frameworks.
Provide expert input for supporting innovation of products and processes - 20%
- Perform research on best candidates for software tools and technologies for specific projects and communicate with respective resources to assure needs are met.
- Incorporate new components for expanding TekTone’s market.
Provide Technical Training and Support for Software Applications - 15%
- Train key TekTone employees for finished products, so they can perform their roles in various capacities for these products. Such departments include: Technical Customer Support, Sales, Marketing, Production and Repair.
- Help fix any errors or issues that are reported by users.
Resident Expert in various domains
- Resident expert on TekTone Wireless System
- Resident expert on UL Listed TekTone Appliance Server (NC475)
- Resident expert on TekTone Wander Prevention, Management and Perimeter Control system
- Resident expert on third-party integrations with the TekTone Systems
- Integrations for Real Time Location Systems, optimizations for reducing network traffic
- Wander Prevention / Management, Perimeter Locking
- Appliance Server
- Write software and setup operating system to allow TekTone Software to run as an appliance
- Configure LCD/LED/Buttons on the hardware to display events, allow user input and configuration and other such features
- Software for production to test and setup these units being shipped to customers
- Configuration Tool add features and updates
- Create Live Configuration Tool that allows faster, on-the-fly editing of configuration of TekTone Systems
- LCD interface for primary annunciation
- Emulators to replace aging hardware for testing
- Design and implement automatic software testing tools
- Central Monitoring System for off-sire Alarm monitoring
- TAP Paging Protocol support for allowing integrations from devices that output this protocol, such as many fire panel systems
- Hardware Setup Utility for configuring Wireless Systems modes (such as broadcast or directed)
- Various production testers for hardware components such as multicolored LED consistency (brightness and color) tester and a tuner for setting up the correct white balance for such LEDs
- Database conversion tools for importing data from old Firebird database to new custom database
- License Generator Tool that generates licenses for all TekTone Software sold.
- Label Sleeve Generator Software to generate printable labels to put in hardware with relevant custom text and colors
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described her are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s of science in computer science, related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years’ experience as database developer (not administrator) working with currently used technological products
- Minimum of two years with currently used shell scripting technologies
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Certification in software developer training
- Masters’ Degree
Click on the Apply Now button to submit a general application for employment at TekTone.
If you would like to download the application and mail it in, please click here. Mail to: 324 Industrial Park Road, Franklin, NC 28734
Qualified applicants will have a Bachelor of science in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience, a minimum of 3 years’ experience developing and consuming secure web APIs and a minimum of 3 years’ experience with large database design. Master’s degree in computer science, or equivalent experience preferred.
This is a full-time exempt position with benefits. Four-day work week and flexible schedule available. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, 3 weeks’ vacation increasing to 5 weeks at year 5, 401K/Profit Sharing and more. Interested applicants should submit a current resume to Human Resources, 324 Industrial Park Rd., Franklin, NC 28734 and Apply below.
- You must enjoy creating something from nothing, moving fast, breaking things, and iterating
- Seeking a seasoned developer with significant Laravel and PHP
- A passion for building engaging, enterprise-level, user-friendly, and scalable internal business systems
- Built frontend applications using Laravel Blade, Vue, React
- Experience building business system web applications
- Experience building applications with the Spatie permissions Laravel package
- Demonstrable portfolio of work (such as a portfolio website or GitHub link)
- Experience knowing when to leverage third-party plugins, modules or frameworks
- Ability to mentor junior developers
- Leverage your experience with a broad range of technology stacks, platforms, and tools to do your best work and teach others to do the same
- Experience using GitLab
- Experience with command-line git (Feature/Develop branching)
- MySQL and MS SQL experience
- Experience with ERP systems
- Linux/OSX development host using VSCODE, Sublime, or JetBrains for development
- Basic Linux Experience
- Swift IOS Frontend to Laravel API
- Built applications that provide as-needed business applications
- Build exciting front-end experiences that cleanly integrate with back-end
- Give and receive constructive feedback
TekTone Sound & Signal Mfg., Inc., located in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina, is searching for a full-time DevOps Manager for our organization. We are looking for someone who has a strong understanding and experience with AWS, Gitlab CI/CD, PHP Laravel Development experience, strong MYSQL and MSSQL experience, Linux and Mac primary desktop experience and the ability to operate in an agile environment. Supervisory experience a must.
Qualified applicants will have a Bachelor of science in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience, a minimum of 3 years’ experience as DevOps Engineer working with currently used technological products. Master’s degree in computer science, or equivalent experience preferred.
This is a full-time exempt position with benefits. Four-day work week and flexible schedule available. Benefits include health insurance, dental insurance, 3 weeks’ vacation increasing to 5 weeks at year 5, 401K/Profit Sharing and more.
Interested applicants should send a resume to email@example.com or apply via the TekTone.com website. For more information, contact Human Resources at 828.524.9967 x 119.